Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why is it that music can be such a motivator?  On a grey day I put on a song with a beat and immediately I'm forced out of my self-loathing or selfish attitude and am able to see beyond my circumstances.  I'm moving to the beat, listening to the words, I'm making my bed, picking up, and something in me feels better.

I'm not alone in this.  I know that others have found that music is the oil that keeps the machine of this life working.

Music can be corrupting as well.  If you put the wrong oil in a machine you could seriously cause problems or even destroy it.  I remember reading that in some of Hitler's concentration camps that beautiful music was played when the victims of the Holocaust were taken off the box cars and sent to the gas chambers.  This is a terrible twisted way to use music.

Some religious people of the 70's were against the rock music of that generation and I can sometimes understand why.  You only have to see the lifestyles of those that were involved and how miserable and short some were to wonder if it was true.

Music in churches have been the deciding factor that some people have used to stay or leave the church.  Again a sad situation since a church is more than the building and music that is played.

But again music brings memories of important or cherished times like Christmas music or wedding music. And as I said at the beginning it motivates to work.  Teens often do homework to music.  We listen to boring (but calming music) on elevators, on automated phone calls, in department stores and of course while driving in our cars.

Without music this world would be a sad and miserable place.  Think about this today.  How long have you gone without hearing some kind of music, jingle, or instrument?  Take the time today to play or sing a favorite song today.  It's guaranteed to lift your spirits, make you ponder life or motivate you to move.  As a popular favorite children's song goes, "...no matter if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, Sing, sing a song."

No comments:

Post a Comment